Shopify PLUS Case Study describes the implementation of a store on Shopify for the American brand Paul Rich, dedicated to the European market.
About the Paul Rich brand
Paul Rich is a brand based on Shopify PLUS specializing in the sale of jewelry in the D2C (direct-to-consumer) model in the United States. The main product is men’s watches with frosted effect. The Paul Rich brand is also present in other markets, apart from the United States: Canada, Australia, Oceania, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The purpose of the project
Europe is one of the largest jewelry markets and, at the same time, a key market for the Paul Rich brand. Therefore, there was a need to create a dedicated store on Shopify PLUS, which would enable the sale of products in local currencies and ensure fast delivery from a local warehouse in Europe. The main goals of the project are:
1. Elimination of import fees
Customers must pay customs duties and import taxes when importing products from the United States into the European Union. Locating the warehouse in the European Union eliminates this problem.
2. Faster and cheaper logistics
The online store provides local, fast delivery methods and free returns within the European Union.
3. Local currencies
Making local payment methods available increases conversion. The online store enables deferred payments using Klarna BNPL (Buy now pay later), card payments, Paypal, or Quick Payments (Apple Pay, Gpay, etc.).
4. Adaptation of products to the needs of local customers
A dedicated warehouse in the European Union allows for better adaptation of products to the needs of customers from European countries.
Worldwide sales visualization
Paul-Rich.Com (US Warehouse) → United States, South America, Canada, Australia, Oceania, Africa, Asia, United Kingdom
Paul-Rich.Eu (EU Warehouse) → European Union, Norway, Switzerland
Used tools & technologies
Geolocation & Consent management
Shopify PLUS project realisation
- New multistore instance on Shopify PLUS.
- Dedicated domain Paul-Rich.Eu.
- Local payments: Klarna BNPL (Buy now pay later), PayPal, Stripe, Quick payments (Gpay, Apple Pay).
- Local shipping and free returns with no import fees.
- Automatic, free returns using the Loop Returns system.
- Products dedicated to local European countries, synchronized with an external Shipbob warehouse in Europe.
- SEO – Implementation of canonical links for the same pages available on EU and US. Avoid cannibalizing sites. SEO protection on the main Paul-Rich.Com store.
- Email marketing – Implementation of a dedicated account for the European market for Klaviyo EU email marketing.
- Loyalty program (PRR – Paul Rich Rewards) – Adaptation of the loyalty program to the requirements of the European market Loyalty Lion EU.
- Synchronization of opinions – Due to the same language of the Paul-Rich.Com and Paul-Rich.Eu stores, a mutual synchronization of opinions in English between US and EU instances has been implemented.
- Customer migration – Customer division by country and migration to EU systems (Klayvio, Loyalty Lion, Shopify).
- Shopify Theme Migration – Replication of a theme deployed on the main American Paul Rich US store.
- Content migration – Transfer and adaptation of Content to the requirements of Paul Rich EU.
- Metafields migration – Transfer and adaptation of mechanisms built on the basis of the metafields guru application.
- GitHub – Code synchronization between two instances of Paul Rich EU ← → Paul Rich US. Changes made to the US template are automatically added to the EU template.
- Geolocation – Implementation of POP-UP to geolocation. For customers visiting the page from a different location than the default location, displaying a POP-UP with a suggested change of location to a closer one.
- Currencies – Local currencies
Loyalty program Paul Rich EU.
Grzegorz was responsible for implementing the second store on Shopify PLUS dedicated to the European Union market at paul-rich.eu. The main goals of the project were a separate warehouse in Europe, local payments, local deliveries, and returns, thus eliminating import fees associated with shipping to the European Union. As an e-commerce manager, Grzegorz was responsible for migrating products, customers, content, loyalty program members, implementing payments, deliveries, and solutions dedicated to the European Union market.
I highly recommend working with Grzegorz in his capacity as a specialist in the technology field on Shopify PLUS, a specialist in improving the conversion rate, and an online store development manager.
Shopify PLUS Case Study summary
The goal of the project was to create a shop on Shopify PLUS, dedicated to the European market, with local payments in €, fast local delivery and elimination of import fees appearing when shipping from the United States to the European Union. SEO security solutions for two US and EU online stores were also implemented by adding canonical tags to EU instances. Another interesting solution is code synchronization between US and EU templates, or bilateral feedback synchronization. Link to the shop in the European version: paul-rich.eu.
See also categories: Social Media in eCommerce | PPC Campaigns | Shopify technologies | eCommerce SEO | E-mail marketing | eCommerce project management | eCommerce marketing | eCommerce management | eCommerce development | eCommerce b2b | eCommerce automation | eCommerce analytics | Content marketing | Case Study eCommerce | News | Other